Lumby’s system of governance began when the town was incorporated as a village on December 22, 1955, over ninety years after the first white settler, Louis Christien, arrived to the area.
The district was first known as Bull Meadows. Later the name changed to White Valley after George LeBlanc (who built a cabin in the area around 1874). In 1892, Louis Morand laid out the town site on 40 acres of his land.
The name of the new town site became “Lumby” after Moses Lumby (1840-1893), the government agent and gold commissioner for the Vernon area from 1891 to 1893. Prior to incorporation, governance issues were handled by the Lumby and District Board of Trade.
Following incorporation, Interim Commissioners were established and included, Cecil Wills, William F. Shields and John (Jack) Dyck. The first election of Commissioners took place on February 18, 1956. From thirteen candidates the following were elected, Neville Ross (Pat) Duke (chairman), George Herman Fisher, James Wilson Inglis, John Kirchsteiger, and Ernest Ross Pierce. The name Commissioners was changed in 1968 to Alderman and in June of 1992 to Councilors.
Mayors for the Village of Lumby include:
1956-1960 Neville Ross (Pat) Duke
1961-1963 James Wilson Inglis
1964-1985 Neville Ross (Pat) Duke
1986-1992 Dave Simpson
1992-2002 Joanne Kineshanko
2002-2009 Eric Foster
2009-present Kevin Acton