A Group of People at Saunderson Falls
Photographer: J.-B. Villiot dit Latour
Date: [arounds 1880]
Source: Société d’histoire de la Rivière-du-Nord, Prévost family fonds
Reference no.: P020,S05,SS03,P16
Curé Labelle’s arrival in 1868 was a turning point in the history of the village of Saint-Jérôme. Tirelessly committed to developing the railroad and the settlement of the Northern Townships, Labelle, along with the local elite, helped make Saint-Jérôme the region’s economic hub. With the train station, the water power of the Rivière du Nord, economic and social vitality, and abundant skilled labour, Saint-Jérôme was attractive to investors, and many industries set up shop in this village north of Montreal, which was incorporated as a town in 1881. Saint-Jérôme came into its own, as the Reine du Nord (“Queen of the North”).