From Rue Dumont to Rue Labelle
Drawing: Ann Leduc
Date: Around 1983
Source: Société d’histoire de la Rivière-du-Nord, Fonds Archistoire
Reference no.: P041,D09
In March 23, 1891, Saint-Jérôme’s city council passed a by-law decreeing that Rue Dumont be changed to Rue Labelle, “in acknowledgement of the many services rendered to the City of Saint-Jérôme by the late Monseigneur Labelle.” Barely two months after his death, the first posthumous tributes were being paid to Antoine Labelle. Later, Route 117 was renamed Boulevard du Curé-Labelle between Laval (his place of birth) and Labelle (the first municipality that he founded).