Already in the 1930s, Roc-d’Or squatters were trying to buy the lots on which sat their homes. They believed this would lead to a legal village. The requests are systematically rejected by the Government of Quebec and in turn increases its attempts to repress the town. Far from giving up, the squatters present two more requests. One has 106 signatures supporting their demands.
By the end of 1937 these constant refusals spur the creation of a Chamber of Commerce. The Chamber supports the municipal incorporation of the village, by dividing lots and opening streets. The members organize a major clean-up showing the good-will of the inhabitants. The goal was to improve the general outlook of the community. All these measures amounted to nothing. In the spring of 1938, 152 homeowners received a notice to leave the premises and to “forestall any new construction, modification or enlargement of buildings at this location”.
Two more requests to incorporate the village followed. One in August 1941 and another in June 1942. Both received the same categorical refusal as before.