An Active Legion for 100 Years
The Royal Canadian Legion is committed to improving the lives of veterans and their families, providing essential services in communities and remembering the men and women who sacrificed their lives in various wars. The Verdun branch has fulfilled all of these objectives!
Since 1919, the Legion (known until 1925 as the Great War Veterans’ Association), has helped veterans in various ways, particularly with their pensions, disability benefits, job searches and food needs. Two sites for gathering and entertainment were made available to veterans, and were often open to all. The Great War Memorial Hall was open from 1929 to 2012, and the Maison Nivard-De Saint-Dizier was rented by Branch 202 Crawford Park from 1953 to 2002.
The Legion was very active in the community. It organized many family activities during the Christmas Holidays and Canada Day. The Legion also came to the assistance of Verdunites during difficult times, such as the Great Depression of the 1930s and the 1959 polio epidemic.
To this day, the Legion pursues its mutual support activities, in particular by providing assistance to the Manna Food Bank, the Dawson Boys & Girls Club and the Verdun cadets. Despite the years that have elapsed, the Legion still plays an important and relevant role in the Verdun community.
While membership has been declining over the last few years, the Verdun Legion continues to offer services to veterans. The Legion is a place to meet friends and have a good time. People gather regularly in the evenings to play cards, and the dart leagues are still alive and well.