The British Munitions Supply Company Factory
Date: June 1, 1916
Source: Office Building completed 4 months after contract was let. British Munitions Supply Co. Ltd., Verdun, P.Q. Library and Archives Canada/Ministry of the Overseas Military Forces of Canada fonds/a024432
The photograph features the factory’s administrative building with an Italian-style corner tower. This building, separate from the factory, housed the dining hall and kitchen. The saw-toothed roof, also called a “northlight roof,” is composed of a series of pitched roofs with unequal slopes; the shorter slopes usually have glass panels and face away from the equator. This architecture prevented light and heat from directly penetrating the building and provided constant light over a large area. When the buildings were sold in 1919, the factory extended over 26 013 square metres.