Source: Verdun Borough / Photo: Jean Beaudin
Parc du Souvenir is located in front of City Hall, on Verdun Street, between Willibrord Street and 1st Avenue. Initially known as Willibrord Park and then Monument Park, the site acquired its current name in 1968 at the request of the Royal Canadian Legion. The name evokes remembrance of those who died during various wars, principally the two world wars and the Korean War.
Since 1959, the park has also been home to the Victory Memorial, originally at the intersection of Wellington Street and LaSalle Boulevard. The veterans found the new site more useful, spacious and appropriate for annual Remembrance Day celebrations and for the Battle of Ypres commemorative parade.