Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) facing east, 1947
Courtesy: Photo © Archives of Ontario – RG-14-162-5-166, 972-39, Photo #49
The QEW, built in the late 1930s and upgraded in the late 1940s, had sped up travel from Hamilton to Grimsby, but it was still a 25-minute commute. When land was purchased in Grimsby, some of the 120 families who had completed the study period dropped out of the co-op project. Eighty-one went on to build their homes together.