The Twin Cellars, Elliston
Photograph courtesy of Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador.
The “Twin Cellars,” also known as the “Upstairs-Downstairs,” are hillside root cellars built in 1915 by Jim and Dan Goodland. These hillside cellars are constructed of a stacked stone exterior with the rest of the cellars being covered with earth and sod. They were originally used to store vegetables and are still in use today!