Rebuilding the Highway
Work on the transgaspésienne highway, 1952
Biliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec
Ministère de la Culture et des Communications Fonds
By the 1950s, the Perron Boulevard was thought to be old and antiquated. Barely wide enough for two vehicles, it was thought to be dangerous and in need of serious repair.
Major work was undertaken by the Duplessis government to improve the highway. And the first “transgaspésienne” highway was constructed to link Mont-Albert to New Richmond. With the new highway, the popularity of the Parc de la Gaspésie grew by leaps and bounds, from 11,000 cars in 1952 to almost 92,000 vehicles just five years later.