On June 1st, 1847, Rev. Fidler set out to visit the southern portion of his outlying parish by canoe. Before receiving paddles, Rev. Fidler was swept quickly out of reach and sadly, over the falls to his death. He is buried in the hilltop St. James Cemetery. In spite of the fact that he was much loved by the congregation, they failed to record his death in the church registry until twenty-five years later.