Skip to main content

Gallery

A collection of photos, illustrations, archival documents, and video and audio testimonies that tell the story of Sutton, a community shaped in large measure by its proximity to the border with Vermont.
A strip of land cleared of trees serves as the border.
In the photo at left, small road signs block the way to the border; on the right, the border is indicated by a simple strip of paint on the ground. One side reads Canada and the other U.S.A.
Clearing land to make way for fields and pastures is hard work that requires many hands and horses.
Photo of a road sign stating “45th Parallel, half-way between the equator and the North Pole.”
Side view of the combined East Pinnacle house and customs post with: a flagpole in front, and an arrow under the words Canada and US to indicate the location of the border.
A simple marker separates Vermont from Sutton Township.
Photo of the J.M. Hill General Store, also a Morse's Line customs post. Above the door, the words Canada and U.S.A. indicate which side of the border you’re standing on.
View of a cemetery that crosses the border; some graves are in Canada and others in the United States. Once again, the border isn’t marked. The Boundary Commission considered placing a granite marker of its own among the headstones, but it later decided it was best to let these souls rest in peace in the country where they thought they were buried.
Two horses pull a sled on runners that is hauling big tree trunks.
Settlers hung large vats over an open fire to boil the ashes and obtain potash.
An engraving of soldiers in action during the 1812 Battle of Châteauguay.
  1. Page 8 of 8
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8