1995-0047 Arnold Muirhead fonds, Arnprior & McNab/Braeside Archives.
Gillies Bros.’ Hammer Mark, Bark Mark and Timber Mark made with a Marking Iron circa 1870.
This undated slip of paper shows hand drawn versions of Gillies Bros.’ original lumber marks which were used from 1870 – 1873. These marks were necessary to keep track of each log as it made its way from the timber limit, through the sorting booms to the mill.
In 1873, Usborne transferred his bark mark and timber mark to Gillies Bros. The original hammer mark ‘G’ contained in the triangle was retained by Gillies Bros. and served as its trademark in later years.