Source: Oshawa Museum, Archival Collection
The 1861 census shows that James Odger Guy, a harbour master for the Sydenham Harbour Company, resided in Guy House with his wife Rachel and their four children. Prior to becoming harbour master, James Odger Guy worked as a clerk for Joseph Wood when he was harbour master between 1848 and 1849. James worked in a family business dealing in coal and grain. The Guys were involved in a coal dealership in Oshawa and grain elevators in Brooklin and Myrtle. James ran his grain business from 16 Celina Street. In addition to his business enterprises, he held a diverse range of important community posts. He was harbour master at the Port of Oshawa for 37 years, Deputy of East Whitby, Reeve of East Whitby, Ontario County Warden and Secretary of the Edmondson Electric Light Co. He was also a Grammar School Trustee and a Trustee of Oshawa High Schools.