Source: 2015-0349 Norman B. Gillies fonds, Arnprior & McNab/Braeside fonds.
Arnprior photographer John W. Green caught the steam billowing from Gillies Bros. mill in this image circa 1889.
In the 1880’s, Gillies Bros. invested in improvements to their operation including the construction of a furnace and brick chimney at a cost of $3000.00. It consumed saw-dust, slabs, edgings and other refuse of the mill. In 1880, the Almonte Gazette reported that the mill sawed an average of 500 logs per day and employed over 200 men who were paid $1.25 per day. As the mill expanded, houses and boarding houses were built to accommodate the expanded workforce. The 95 foot chimney (centre) was a local landmark until it was demolished on the 23rd of May, 1974.