2015-0349 Norman B. Gillies fonds, Arnprior & McNab Braeside Archives.
Sons of John Gillies and Mary Cullen Bain: Standing (l-r): George Ackland Gillies (1851-1913), David Gillies (1849-1926), John Gillies (1846-1914). Sitting (l-r): William Gillies (1841-1915), James Gillies (1840-1909), circa 1905. Photographer unknown. A sixth son, Alexander Munroe Gillies (1856-1878) died at age 22 from drowning.
The Gillies Bros. Lumber Company was established in 1873 when John Gillies Sr. sold his grist mill, home and business holdings in Carleton Place to finance the purchase of Usborne’s mill at Braeside. James, John Jr., David and William Gillies were partners in the new company which was generally known as “Gillies Bros.”.
George Gillies established a machine works in Gananoque which built the steam power plant for the Braeside Mill when it was refurbished in 1893.