Credit: Cowansville Historical Society
Portrait of Leopold S. Lee (1899-1972), vice-president of Bruck Silk Mills Limited. Originally from the small town of Chyrow in Poland (now located in Ukraine), he emigrates to New York and joins the textile company Regal Silk Company in 1920. When the Cowansville factory opens in 1922, Isaac Bruck entrusts the general management of Bruck Silk Mills to Leopold Lee, to whom he is related by his maternal grandfather.
Under his direction, the factory grows rapidly and he is appointed vice-president in 1935. He becomes general manager of Bruck Mills (Australia) Limited in 1947 and general manager of all operations of Bruck Mills Ltd. from 1950 until his retirement in July 1966. Leopold Lee also plays an active role in the community life of Cowansville, such as municipal councilor and board member of the Brome-Missisquoi-Perkins hospital. Like his wife, Eugenie Sharp Lee, he takes a keen interest in arts and culture and supports the creation of the Cowansville Art Center, which she founded with Gerald Bruck in 1956.