Skip to main content


Please browse the gallery below for all the images, videos and audio related to Forman Hawboldt - Entrepreneur and Inventor. Click on an item to see an enlarged image with description or to play the video/audio clip.
A black and white photo of the two-storey jewelry store with two shop windows and a door in the middle, close to the road. The top floor has two smaller windows. To the right on a rise, set back from the road, with a wire fence by the street, a three storey shingled house with steps leading up to the front door, dormer windows on the right of the front steps and a veranda along the left front of the house. The house sports gingerbread trim, many windows and a steeply pitched roof.
A Hawboldt make and break engine with a fly wheel and one cylinder developed in 1906 by Forman Hawboldt. This engine was developed in the first workshop behind his house on Queen Street in Chester in 1906.
A scanned copy of the agreement assigning the rights for the useful improvement in timer for the new gasoline engine to Hawboldt Industries Ltd. By Forman Hawboldt August 12, 1919.
A double mMake and break engine with two cylinders and one fly wheel.
A colour aerial photo of Big and Little Tancook Islands with Big Tancook in the foreground showing the houses and roads; Little Tancook to the left showing roads and houses and to the far left Ironbound Island. The Tancook boat builders were noted designers of schooners and whalers. The fishermen were some of the first to use the make and and break engines to power their boats.
A black and white photo showing the west end of North Street, Chester, with the locations of the foundry land and residence marked. The road runs in the middle of the photo with Cottnman Smith’s house on the left and the Hawboldt house lot further to the east beyond his land. On the right side of the road opposite Smith’s house and running east to the Stanford house is the foundry land and the stream from Stanford Lake.
A hand written exert from the deed from Benjamin Mills, his wife and John Stanford assigning water rights to Forman Hawboldt for his use on April 20, 1912.
A sepia toned photo of the Haboldt Gas Engines showing the main two storey building on North Street to the left and the machine and fabrication building attached to it which dropped steeply down to the edge of the stream. A separate building to the right and in the foreground housed the foundry before it was replaced with a new dome roofed building.
A colour post card showing a large three section reddish building with a green roof perched on a hill top overlooking the Back Harbour, Chester, known as the Hackmatack Inn. A veranda runs along the front of two sections of the building and tennis courts are visible in the foreground. This was one of the large hotels that received water from Hawboldt Gas Engines and its developer Mr. Keasby was one of the original investors in the project.
A bill from Forman Hawboldt, to Phil Walker, for water service for the 1949 season in the amount of $35.00. Receipted by Forman Hawboldt
A large black iron pump with a flywheel. The water lines to and from the pump are shown as is a valve to turn off the water on the pipe. This was the pump used to supply the water throughout the summer to village residents. Currently it is on display at the Forman Hawboldt Collection building at Chester Train Station.
A small booklet cover in light brown with black lettering saying Constitution and Bylaws of Chester Fire Department. This was the original constitution and bylaws circa 1937.
  1. Page 2 of 5
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5