Wallace and Area Museum
Wallace, Nova Scotia

Gallery Thumbnail Gallery Stories Contact Us Search

Acadian Removal at Remsheg, August 15, 1755

Jim Reeves working on replica aboiteau, carving a tight seal for controlling device "the clapper"
109 of 129
Replica of an aboiteau being hand carved to be inserted into a dyke
110 of 129
Replica of an Acadian aboiteau, which when placed through the dyke allowed land to drain
111 of 129
Wallace (Remsheg) Harbour Today
112 of 129
Interior ditch of Steven's Hill Dyke; dyke approximately 2 metres above high tide
113 of 129
Museum Assistant Brett Nuttall looking in end of replica aboiteau
114 of 129
Jim Reeves and Brett Nuttall looking at drainage end of replica aboiteau
115 of 129
A block of marsh sod showing one half metre root length; twenty dollar bill gives some perspective
116 of 129
Barbara Clark, volunteer artist for the Museum's Heritage Murals
117 of 129
Barbara Clarke on top of her painting
118 of 129
Research of local Acadian history, printed by Tatamagouche amature historian Roy Kennedy
119 of 129
Marsh sod with heavy root structure in background and lawn sod with smaller roots in foreground
120 of 129
Encompassed land behind Akerly Brook Dyke
121 of 129
Dewar River facing south during spring floods
122 of 129
Map of Nova Scotia drawn by Surveyor General Charles Morris in 1755
123 of 129
Jim Reeves measures site of small aboiteau still in place after nearly 300 years
124 of 129
Jim Reeves shows school students how an aboiteau works and how they were built
125 of 129
Dyke Along Tuttle Creek
126 of 129

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Important Notices  
© 2024 All Rights Reserved