Gallery Thumbnail Gallery Stories Contact Us Search
The Changing Role of Jewish Women in Saint John
Saint John Jewish Historical Museum
Saint John , New Brunswick


   This exhibit illustrates
the role and impact of Jewish
women within the Saint John
Jewish community, and their
involvement with Saint John
society from 1858 to the
present day.
   The first Jewish women’s
group in Saint John was the
Daughters of Israel,

organized in 1899 to “help
the needy and nourish the
sick” in their own community.
This group joined the local
Council of Women in 1908, and
the Women’s Hospital
Auxiliary in 1932.
   The Ladies Auxiliary of
the Talmud Torah was formed
in 1922 to look after the

Hebrew and Sunday schools,
community activities and city-
wide charity work. It was a
charter affiliate of the
Women’s Hospital Auxiliary in
1919. The Ladies Auxiliary
changed its name to the
Sisterhood Shaarei Zedek in
1939, and later merged with
the Daughters of Israel in

   Saint John women joined
the Zionist movement when a
chapter of Hadassah was
formed in 1919. A junior
Hadassah chapter existed from
1928 to 1942. Many young
women were also active with
Young Judaea, serving as
leaders and officers from the

Important Notices  
© 2024 All Rights Reserved