The Beginnings of Copper Cliff
This storyline traces the development of the town of Copper Cliff from the discovery of the Copper Cliff Mine site in 1885, to 1913, before the outset of the First World War.
It uses historic images from the Greater Sudbury Heritage Museums Collections and the joint Greater Sudbury Heritage Museums/Greater Sudbury Public Libraries Heritage Image Collection; of particular interest is a series of postcards from a Canadian Copper Company mechanist written to family back in Cornwall, England, describing early Copper Cliff.
In 1902, the Orford Copper Company and the Canadian Copper Company joined to create the International Nickel Company (whose management was based in the United States). The Copper Cliff operations where ore was extracted and smelted were still referred to as the Canadian Copper Company. The matte (ore with a relatively higher nickel or copper content that resulted from the smelting process) was shipped to the United States to be refined.
This state of affairs would continue unchanged until 1916.