At the 1940 Intercollegiate Meet, Don duplicated firsts in the same events as he had during 1939 and added a second-place finish in javelin to his awards. At the Highland Games of the same year, he ran the 100-yard dash in a record time of 9 4/5 seconds.

By this time, his fellow Mount A. students had nick-named Don "Whizzer" and elected him their student union president for the 1941-1942 school year. 1941 was another record-setting year for Whizzer: he beat Canadian sprint champion, Peter Taylor, in the 100-yard dash in a time of 11 seconds - not even Don's personal-best time for the distance. "The victory received little attention but, for Whizzer Norton, it proved a point." (Even the Babe Came to Play . . . by Robert Ashe)


Don Norton upon graduation from Mount A



"His more heroic act was not competitive, however. On the night of December 16, 1941, as flames roared through a Mount Allison men's residence, Norton tore from floor to floor and roused sleeping students, shouting instructions on how to improvise ropes from bed sheets. As flames closed in, Norton decided that he could do no more and leapt from a third-storey window into a fireman's net. The fire killed four people, Norton had saved at least a dozen lives." (Even the Babe Came to Play.. . by Robert Ashe)

In 1942, his final year of studies at Mount Allison, he equaled his best time in the 100-yard dash and broke his own record in the broad jump. Don's new record was a distance of 22 feet, 10 and 3/8 inches, beating his former mark by nearly 3 ˝ inches. Whizzer led the individual point winners at the year's meet with 27 ˝ , accounting for nearly half of the Mount A.'s 64 points which took the event for his university.


Don Norton competing for Air Force team



Immediately upon his graduation in 1942, Don enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force, his chief desire to become a navigator. "While serving with the RCAF, he found relaxation in his favorite athletic events the 100-yard and 220-yard dashes; the broad and triple jumps. At a Maritime inter-service track and field meet in the fall of 1942 he led the Air Force team to a victory" over teams entered by the Army and Navy divisions of the Canadian Forces. (St. Stephen - Yesteryear by Doug Dougherty)


Don competing for Air Force team



"The fastest runner in a Canadian military uniform received his wings in 1943." (Even the Babe Came to Play. . . ., by Robert Ashe.)

"On June 8, (1944) the Halifax III carrying St. Stephen's Golden Boy and eight others was shot down in battle in a field adjacent to a farm in Ronchois, France. ‘Fire was. . .on board before the crash' said a report not filed until August 1946, ‘and the bodies of the occupants were badly burned and disintegrated as the aircraft exploded upon crashing. . .' Flying Officer Donald Norton. . . was laid to rest in Row D, Grave No. 6, in Poix de la Somme Churchyard, near Amines, France." ( Even the Babe Came to Play . . ., by Robert Ashe). Donald Blair Norton was not yet 24 years old.


Don Norton in RCAF uniform



The tragic loss of this hero was felt throughout his hometown and Mount Allison University. Mount A. paid tribute to Don, calling him one of the most outstanding athletes and also one of the greatest scholars and gentlemen to come to the university. "Every person who was on the campus when Don was here, will long remember him for his marvelous running as well as his general all round ability in everything he tried. There were few his equal, and his death is indeed a blow to all who knew him." (From a 1944 Mount Allison University publication, author unknown).

The "Don Norton Memorial Award" was established by the Mount A. graduating class of 1942. The university presents the honour annually, in memory of all students who gave their lives in WWII, and is awarded to the male student who makes the greatest overall contribution to university life in his senior year.


William Steen Greenough



William Steen Greenough

Bill Greenough was born on March 24, 1944 and, from the beginning, seemed destined to be an athlete. Both of his parents, Christine and Elwood, were active in many sports.


Elwood 'Greeny' Greenough



Elwood, or "Greeny" as he was most widely known, had first spotted his future wife playing tennis and was smitten. Greeny himself was an athlete of note in his youth and, in later years, coached basketball at St. Stephen High School. He brought the game to schools in Milltown. He also coached track and field teams, and organized the events. He was considered instrumental in creating the impetus for the construction of the arena in St. Stephen. Greeny was the manager of a juvenile baseball team for 6 years and president of the St. Stephen golf and curling clubs, among other organizations.


Bill Greenough's 1957 ribbons
25 May 1957