Rules for Teachers
1. Teachers each day will fill lamps, clean chimneys, and clean wicks.
2. Each teacher will bring a bucket of water and scuttle of coal for the day's session.
3. Make your pens carefully. You may whittle nibs for the individual tastes of the pupils.
4. Men teachers may take one evening a week for courting purposes or two evenings a week if they attend church regularly.
5. After ten hours in school, teachers should spend the remaining time reading the Bible or other good books.
6. Women teachers who marry or engage in unseemly conduct will be dismissed.
7. Each teacher who smokes, uses liquor in any form, frequents pool or public halls, or gets shaved in a barber shop, will give good reason to suspect his worth, intentions integrity, and honesty.
8. Each teacher shall lay aside from each day a goodly sum of his earnings for his benefit during the declining years so he will not become a burden on society.
9. The teacher who performs his labors faithfully and without fail for five years will be given an increase of 25 cents per week providing the Board of Education approves.