10

THE EARLY CHURCHES OF OMEMEE

Village life for the young John McCrea centered for a great part around the churches of the village. Social events, school picnics, added to the regular services of each church. The yearly school picnics sponsored by the churches were an occasion for the young to vigorously play and participate in races and games. The McCrea family, like most families of that time, were regular attendees at their church and upheld the values taught by the Church. . There were four main churches, the Presbyterian church, the Anglican Church, the Wesleyan Methodist Church, and the Salvation Army.

11

OMEMEE POST OFFICE AND STORE
1920
Omemee, ON
TEXT ATTACHMENT


12

OMEMEE POST OFFICE AND STORE

The Post Office occupied the building known as the Grandy Building which was erected in 1892 at the north west corner of King and George Streets. The building is still standing and houses several local businesses. The corner room on the main floor was devoted to the post office with the western portion of the building housing a store.

13

INTERIOR POST OFFICE
1898
Omemee, ON
TEXT ATTACHMENT


14

INTERIOR POST OFFICE

The picture shows the section of the post office containing 104 boxes which opened using a combination lock. An older section of the post office was in the rear with 40 boxes using keys. Richard Grandy was the postmaster at the time of the opening of the building.
The mail was delivered to Omemee by train and as there were four mail trains each week day, mail was delivered promptly.

15

MULLIGAN'S STORE
1900
Omemee, ON
TEXT ATTACHMENT


16

MULLIGAN'S DRUG STORE

The building at the north-east corner of George Street housed a drugstore from its inception in 1891 to the present. Mr. Mulligan erected the building after the fire had destroyed the earlier structure. The sign on the side of the building still states that it is "R.J.Mulligan, Drugs and Chemicals, Jewelry, Watches and Clocks, Fancy Goods, Toilet Soaps, Fresh Field and Garden Seeds, Wallpaper, Books & Stationery". A wide range of merchandise. This old interior shot shows the multitude of items for sale as well as two of the local residents. As with many of the early shops, they provided not only a place to buy, but also a place to visit and chat.

17

WILLIAMSON HARNESS SHOP
1905
Omemee, ON
TEXT ATTACHMENT


18

WILLIAMSON HARNESS SHOP

The Williamson Harness Shop was built in 1890 after the fire that had devastated a large portion of the village in June of that year. Mr. Williamson apprenticed as a harness-maker and became a journeyman in harness making and saddlery, a necessary trade in an era of travel by horse. Most heavy farm work was undertaken with horses providing the power. A shoe and boot department was later added.

19

MCPHERSON'S STORE
1899
Omemee, ON
TEXT ATTACHMENT


20

McPHERSON'S STORE

The interior picture of McPherson's store is typical of many of the general stores in Ontario in the late 1800's and early 1900's. The store carried a wide range of merchandise. The bakery section of the store was noted as being extremely popular and was located at the rear of the store. You could buy baked goods directly from the store and also from the horse and rig which peddled the goods throughout the nearby countryside. Dry goods were sold with a great variety of prints, cottons, silks and other types of yard goods, which were popular with the seamstresses who sewed clothes for their families. A millinery section provided a range of the latest styles in hats for "church going" and special events. The first Bell Telephone "Central" was located in the store.

21

OLD APOTHECARY SHOP, OMEMEE
1940
Omemee, ON
TEXT ATTACHMENT


22

OLD APOTHECARY SHOP - OMEMEE

The sketch of Thomas Matchett's Apothecary "Medical Hall" is the only record of what this building looked like. Situated on the main street of Omemee, the building served the residents of Omemee and the area for many years, dispensing "cures" and providing medical care. McCrea's model of a Medical Hall.

23

CORONATION HALL
1920
Omemee, ON
TEXT ATTACHMENT