Construction of a railway bridge between Fredericton and the community of Devon across the river began in 1887 and was completed the following year. The line served as a direct connection between the City of Fredericton and the Canada Eastern Railway Company line. The Dominion of Canada government was forced to assume ownership of the bridge in 1904 because the company could not pay its debts. A year later control of the bridge was given to the Intercolonial Railway. Eventually the bridge became part of the Canadian National system and was replaced in 1936 after the original bridge was destroyed in spring flooding. The bridge was abandoned in 1995 at the same time that the section of track from McGivney to Fredericton along the old Canada Eastern line was abandoned.


City of Fredericton railway lines
19th Century
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

New Brunswick Railway Museum