Churches of South Central Saskatchewan
Assiniboia and District Historical Museum
Assiniboia, Saskatchewan

h. Chapter Seven - United Churches of Canada


Assiniboia St Paul's United Church sign
26 October 2005


Chapter Seven
United Church of Canada in South Central Saskatchewan

This chapter will cover several denominations that united to become The United Church of Canada. This union includes Methodists, Congregationalists, and Presbyterians; although not all congregations of the latter did. This union was formed on June 10, 1925.


10 March 2006
Readlyn, Saskatchewan



I heard that in the early years that the only form of transportation for the traveling minister was by horses. Do you know any story about this?


Yes, that was the only way settlers got around, no one could afford vehicles and anyway there were no suitable road to travel on. One minister, Reverend W. J. Gourley of the Readlyn United Church, established rodeos in the Verwood area and he got the name "Cowboy Minister". His work did 'lasso' many people into church work! In other areas such a minister was called 'saddlebag' preacher.


Reverend Rondeau and family
Southern Saskatchewan


The following churches will list their original denominations - so be aware that they became United at about the same time in the mid and late 1920's. The Home Mission Board headquarters' of the United Church is in Toronto.

The Board of French Evangelization of the city of Montreal sent Reverend Rondeau to work in this territory until 1911. Then he was appointed to work among the Anglo- Saxon settlers of this area.

Reverend Rondeau began his work from 5k (3 miles) east of Woodrow and from this point covered the territory, which extended approximately 120k (75 miles) north to south and some 144k (90 miles) from east to west. A field missionary of 9600 sq. km(6000 sq. miles).


Assiniboia St Andrews Presbyterian


Assiniboia St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church

An organizational meeting was held in the Olympic Theatre in Assiniboia. For four months the services were held in the theatre and from 1913 until 1920 in the Masonic Temple. The present church edifice was completed and dedicated in 1920.

A house was purchased for a manse and moved near the church. On Sunday April 21, 1963, they held their 50th Anniversary Service. At this time the attendance went down as the young folk began moving away, creating a financial burden. The last service was in 1972. Many of the congregation now attends services at St. Paul's United Church in Assiniboia.

The congregation passed a resolution that the real estate and holdings be turned over to the town to serve as a Museum. In 1992 the building became a meeting place for teenagers and is now known as 'Teen Power Station.'

This former church building has been designated as a Heritage Site.


Assiniboia St. Paul's United Church Earlier Years


Assiniboia St. Paul's United Church Earlier Years

After the Union in 1925, Rev. G. Glover was St. Paul's first minister. The first church was on 3rd Avenue East. The church was moved to Fifth Avenue facing north, in the present manse back yard. This building was later sold and moved to become a plumbing and an upholstery shop, then finally, moved to a farm.

Building plans were made to have a new church on Centre Street. In 1928 church services were held in the theatre while a building program began. The construction ceased due to the Depression and a roof was installed over the basement.

In 1946 the Willows charge was welcomed into the membership of St. Paul's.

A new manse was built in 1952


Assiniboia St. Paul's United Church Present Day


Assiniboia St. Paul's United Church Present Day

In 1954 construction was completed and dedication took place. A wing was added in 1964 with renovations taking place when necessary to present time.


Bateman United Church
Bateman, Saskatchewan


Bateman United Church

From 1911-1915 services were conducted by students preaching at Bateman, St Boswells, and Rouen schools. Clergyman's salary in 1916 was $1,000.00.

In 1919 the CNR rail line was extended west from Gravelbourg and a basement for the church was then built at Bateman.

May 26th the elected trustees made application for a loan to build a church and a manse. In 1926 a fine brick church was built and dedicated September 19, 1926. The church itself cost $8,338.82 in material. A good portion of the loan was retired about 1946.

In the late 1940s the minister moved to Gravelbourg and the charge was changed to Bateman, Gravelbourg, and Palmer. The church closed about 1985.


Bengough Presbyterian Church
Bengough, Saskatchewan


Bengough Presbyterian Church

September 6th, 1911 the Presbyterian decided to send a student minister to the new town of Bengough.

The first church was erected in 1913. Rev. Muckel served as a minister from September 1913 to February 1914 and later died in World War I.

The building later became a BPOE Lodge Hall and then later became known as Knox United Church.

Bengough continued as a student field and would be so until a manse could be provided. A manse, formerly a hospital, was eventually purchased with the assistance from the Church and Manse Fund. In 1935 this church reverted to a student field until 1950. The unused manse was sold and the money invested into Victory Bonds and then used to build a new church in 1966. The mortgage was retired in 1974.

Regular services still continue


Coderre/Courval Area Grace United Church
Coderre, Saskatchewan


Coderre/Courval Area Grace United Church

In early years worship services were held in the local homes, schools and the CPR waiting room. The first minister was Mr. Mahn.
In 1927 the Coderre Women's Auxiliary was active in raising funds for the purchase of the church. In 1939 a church building was purchased from St. Boswells and moved to the present site. Served by student ministers from Moose Jaw Presbytery and later from Gravelbourg.

In 1990 after 51 years of service this church closed due to economical circumstances. The congregation then amalgamated with the Shamrock United Church. The Old Wives U.C. was a mission point.


Constance United Church
Constance, Saskatchewan


Constance United Church

The United Church at Constance was built in 1927 by John Dighan Sr. and Chris Salberg.

The first pastor was Rev. Warden.

In early 1950's the church building was moved to Rockglen and is still part of the church there.


Coronach (Methodist Church) United Church
Coronach, Saskatchewan


Coronach (Methodist Church) United Church

Through the Methodist Mission, services were held in the settlers' home. The area from Willow Bunch south to the US border, east of Harptree, west to Fife Lake (aka as Delightsome Valley) and to the Little Woody was known as the Willow Bunch Mission.

In 1916 a parsonage was built with a grant from the Methodist Missionary Society using donated lumber. This site was 1 ½ miles south of present town of Coronach. In 1926 with the advent of the CPR, a site for the church building was purchased in town. The basement was dug, cement work completed, a roof put on the basement and the interior finished. In 1953 the church was completed and dedication held on September 20, 1953. The original manse was moved in 1926, and then replaced in 1976.

Today it is known as Borderland Pastoral Charge comprising Coronach, Rockglen, Kildeer and Fife Lake. Regular services are still offered by the resident pastor.


Coronach Area Clydesdale Presbyterian
Coronach (area), Saskatchewan


Coronach Area Clydesdale Presbyterian Church

The first settlers from Scotland started to arrive in 1906. A few church services were held during the summer.

In 1911 a student minister, Mr. Angus McIntosh was sent by the Presbyterian Church from Toronto and services were held in homes and the school until the Woodsman's Hall was built. Then a Methodist minister, and later a minister of the Holiest Movement, held services.

In 1925 the Clydesdale School was opened and services were held there for the next thirty years.

Mr. Rees, from Wales, was the first minister. The minister was shared with Rockglen, Coronach and sometimes Willow Bunch.
In 1955 the school closed and the building was then purchased by the congregation.

Church closed in 1968 with the faithful joining the Coronach church and donating the organ.


Courval/Pansy District Protestant Church
Courval (area), Saskatchewan


Courval/Pansy District Protestant Church

From "oral tradition" information is sketchy, there is no question however, of the ongoing life and ministry of a Protestant Church shared by Courval and the Pansy Districts. The denomination of the early "preacher" remains unsolved. At its earliest, worship services were held in homes, a school and a hall. The preacher's particular denomination depended on which denomination had extra personnel to send out.

They may have been Methodists, Presbyterian, Congregationalist, Lutheran, or Anglican. The need for spiritual endeavours was paramount.

Preacher Brown, served in the late 1920's at the Pansy District and Courval.

In 1959 the little school house church was closed. The congregation went to the United Church at Coderre.


Crane Valley Presbyterian (United)
Crane Valley, Saskatchewan


Crane Valley Presbyterian (United)

During the period from 1912 to 1926 the area of Marigold, Stayner, and Bliss Lake was served by Presbyterian student ministers. During this time the Board of Home Mission had a program of manse building and assisting with the minister's salary.

In 1927 a manse was built, then sold in 1954 to purchase a house for the purpose. The old Marigold School was purchased for a church building and moved to its present site.

In the period of 1927-1929 the salary was $1,500.00. During the Thirties the salary fell to $1,000.00. By 1944 the field was self supporting.

During the ministry of Mr. Don Bardwell the 4-H Clubs had close association with the church. He instigated the idea of God's Acre, a vegetable garden attended by the church's youth, with half the proceeds going to the church.


Davyroyd Augustine United Early Years
Davyroyd, Saskatchewan


Davyroyd Augustine United Early Years

Augustine Church was the first Protestant Church organized south of Moose Jaw, built in 1910. The average church collection was eighty cents.

Its organization was the work of members of adherents of Anglicans, Presbyterians, Lutherans and Methodists. They worked together to build a truly Community Western Prairie Church.

The church was the only public building in the area at this point. It was used for agricultural lectures and considered as a day school for that year.

In 1915, it is noted in the minutes as a two-point field. Readlyn had services in the morning and evening and Davyroyd had afternoon services.

In 1917 an addition was completed. In 1929, due to a crop failure the congregation was unable to pay the minister. The church closed in 1944 but reopened in 1950. Mission points were Crane Valley and Cardross.


Davyroyd Augustine United Present Day
Davyroyd, Saskatchewan


Davyroyd Augustine United Present Day

In the following years renovations were made. The building was closed on June 28, 1992. The church is now opened only for services on special occasions and the preserving of the building continues today.


Ettington United Church
Ettington, Saskatchewan


Ettington United Church

The Ettington Mission was established in 1914.

Mr. Terry served this mission in 1915, in the newly constructed manse that had the living quarters upstairs and held the services downstairs. From 1916, services were held in Ettingtons's new school.

In 1929 a church was built under the direction of Lars Tollefson.

In 1955, after serious deliberations, the church was closed.

The Ettington Church was sold to the Associated Gospel congregation and moved to Mossbank in 1960.


Expanse St. James Presbyterian Church
Expanse, Saskatchewan


Expanse St. James Presbyterian Church

Church services in Expanse were first held in the school by student ministers, one was the teacher, Mr. Gale.

St. James was built in 1912 with Rev. Blue as minister. In 1916 the manse was built and the church completed.

At the time of Rev. Mossip's service, he had the ability to direct boys through his proficiency at and love of sports. He offered a good leather-bound bible to any youngster who would read it from cover to cover.

After 1923 this church was known as St. James United Church.

The building was moved to Mitchelton in 1958 and served as the United Church for the congregation there until 1986.


Fife Lake United Church
Fife Lake, Saskatchewan


Fife Lake United Church

In 1928 under the direction of Walter Bennett (the same Bennett who engineered the building of the Olympic Theatre and the Franklin Hotel in Assiniboia), the Fife lake United Church became a reality. The sum of $1,000.00 dollars was borrowed from the Home Mission Board.

The first United Church charge was formed by the Fife Lake, Little Woody, and Lacordaire Churches. After Constance built their church Fife Lake was placed in the Coronach charge. The first minister was Rev. Jas Watts.

Fife Lake closed its doors in 1969 but was re-opened in 1979 with Rev. R. MacKenzie, the minister of Rockglen and Coronach. Presently, services still continue with Coronach's resident pastor as part of the Coronach and Rockglen pastoral charge.


Glentworth United Church
Glentworth, Saskatchewan


Glentworth United Church

The first minister was Mr. Bartell who traveled around holding services in the school houses.

Ladies Aid bought the piano from New Hope. On July 9th, 1930 they also bought a house and the lot. The final payment was made to the CPR in the amount of $83.50.

In 1938 or 1939 the Credit Union building was purchased as a church.

The present church was erected in 1961 with Rev. Bayliss as minister.

Services are now held every second week alternating with other churches in the pastoral charge with the Resident Pastor that lives at McCord.


Gravelbourg St. Stephen's United
Gravelbourg, Saskatchewan


Gravelbourg St. Stephen's United

A church was built in 1917-18 as well as a manse. The Gravelbourg United Church was under the supervision of the Assiniboia Presbytery. The church was served by several missionaries and later by the minister from Lafleche until a fully ordained charge with Bateman and St. Boswells was formed.

November 1953 a new church building was brought in from Sunnnyview, seven miles south of Kincaid and the former church was sold to Glenbain. In January 1955 the church was named St. Stephen's United Church. At this time Palmer became part of the Gravelbourg-Bateman Pastoral charge. Regular services are still held with the resident pastor.


Killdeer United
Killdeer, Saskatchewan


Killdeer United Church

Church services began in Killdeer in June 1955, with a student minister from Fir Mountain. These were held in the Killdeer Hall or at the school. Then it became part of the Rockglen Pastoral charge.

In 1956 the decision to obtain a church building was made. With many five year pledges, a loan and a grant from the Home Mission, the Canopus School building was purchased and renovated. In 1958 the dedication service was held by Rev. Stade of the Home Mission as the guest speaker.

In 1963 a special Mortgage Burning Service was held.

This congregation became part of the Borderland Pastoral Charge in 1969. It was then closed in the 1980's due to dwindling members. It was sold to a family for home schooling. Today, the building stands vacant.


Lafleche United Church
12 June 2006
Lafleche, Saskatchewan


Lafleche United Church

In 1910 Rev. S.P. Rondeau organized Lafleche as a mission field. The first Methodist service was held in R.J. Coupland's farm house, and later at F.W. Therrin, a lay minister's farm. Soon there was a need for a larger building; services were held in the school. By 1913 it was decided that a church should be built. Later that year in an unfinished building "First Presbyterian Church" had the first service. In 1920 Melaval and Harwood congregations became part of the Lafleche Pastoral care.

After Union, another church building was erected on the present site with enlarging and renovations taking place over the years. The first building was sold to the RM #74 and it became part of the former RM's office and still stands as storage.

In 1952 the Harwood charge closed and the same year Trinity United Church of Limerick became part of the Lafleche charge. In 1969, Melaval United Church congregation was then included.

They currently have a resident Pastor, also serving Lafleche, Woodrow and Limerick.


Limerick Methodist Orinoco
Limerick, Saskatchewan


Limerick Methodist Orinoco

Orinoco congregation began in the spring of 1921 with the Methodist Minister Rev. Culp from Limerick holding services in Orinoco School, NE of Limerick.

Finances: the sharing of expenses as stated for 1921 - Limerick - $1,300.00; Hewson - $640.00; Orinoco - $640.00. The minister's annual salary was $1,650.00 with horse keep of $150.00.

An active Sunday School existed in the Orinoco charge. In March 1937 it was recorded that Sunday School met 28 Sundays with the average attendance of 35. Attendance on Mother's Day was 77 with an offering of $3.40 with a bank balance of $11.02.

In 1946 church and Sunday School ceased, with many families joining the Trinity United Church in Limerick.


Limerick Trinity United
Limerick, Saskatchewan


Limerick Trinity United Church

In 1909 there were seven preaching points - Gorkendon, Welcome School, Deckerville, Jonesville, Mazenod and Valor. These six formed the Leeville Mission, and then in the spring Bruce School was added.

The first service was in the school barn as the school was incomplete. Mr. A.J. Hindle was lay preacher from 1909 to 1912 and did much to carry the work of the church. Late 1912 was the end of the Leeville Mission when Assiniboia was established.

A parsonage was built at Limerick by fall of 1917. The minister's salary that year was $1,200.00 and $100.00 for horse feed.

By the fall of 1928 a Church was built at the cost of $9,000.00.

In April 1952, Limerick joined Melavel and Lafleche and was served by the resident minister of Lafleche.

This church building has been well kept and is in wonderful condition.


Mazenod United Church
Mazenod, Saskatchewan


Mazenod United Church

Services for these homesteaders were held in a hayloft south east of Palmer and in other homes until the Marquette School was built in 1912.

Deckerville (forerunner of Mazenod) Mission was formed at this time. It served the Marquette appointment near Palmer, Campbell's appointment from Ettington, and Galloway's appointment near Mazenod. The minister serving these points was Mr. Bone with a bicycle for transportation.

In 1913 a committee was appointed to buy property sites for these three points.

A school house was built under the charge of Rev. W. Mahon. A manse was built in 1915. A church was built and dedicated in 1920.

In 1943 the pastoral charge was changed. Mazenod became a part of the Mossbank charge with the minister residing in Mossbank.

Mazenod United Church closed in 1989 and in 1990 was moved north of Mazenod to the Glad Tidings Bible Camp where is it used as a change house for the swimming pool.


McCord United
McCord, Saskatchewan


McCord United Church

The church was built and the interior partly finished by November 11, 1929 with three services the same day that filled the church to its full capacity. The following day a Fowl Supper was served to 525 guests. The first full time, ordained minister came in 1936 with Mankota added to the charge.

In 1940 the original manse burnt.

In October 1952 a fire in the church was successfully extinguished. To this day these charred beams below the choir loft can still be seen.

In 1956 a farm house was moved into town as a replacement manse.

1981 Rev. Nancy Knox provided five services per Sunday in this now five point charge: McCord, Glentworth, Fir Mountain, Wood Mountain and McCord.

Of recent there are two services per Sunday alternating with a lay person and a minister.


Melaval United Church
Melaval, Saskatchewan


Melaval United Church

Melaval Church was built as a result of the deep need for such a building in the community. In 1913, before the village was established, service was held in a tent on the Harvey Wheeler farm.

It was decided that when the church would be built that it would be a Union Church and should anyone desire to have services with another denomination this would be possible. Then when Melavel was established, services were held in the lumber yard office, CPR Station, Coggin's Restaurant, Barrill's Poolroom, and in Mr. Loeb's store.

The newly constructed church was dedicated in 1917 and became the United Church in 1925.

The first minister was Rev. Bouchard, whose annual salary was $435.00.

Rev. Wilkinson, a Lafleche resident, was minister from 1963 until the last service on June 29, 1969.

In 1985 the church building became a woodworking shop.


Meyronne Presbyterian Church
Meyronne, Saskatchewan


Meyronne Presbyterian Church

Presbyterian services were first held in the homes of its members. The first service in the Meyronne District was in the summer of 1911 and held at Mr. D.A. Leckie's home. Then a church was built in 1913, and opened in the spring of 1914. Mr. Rondeau was the first minister sent by the French Evangelization of Montréal, to serve the French-Canadian population. About a year later he was appointed to work among the Anglo-Saxon settlers.

The present church was built in 1923 with Reverend Madill laying the corner stone.

Classes were held in this church until 1916 when a school was built.

This church was later known as the Knox United Church.

In 1969 the United Church was dissolved, the building sold to Garnet Forum and moved to his farm site. The organ was donated to the Woodrow United Church. Meyronne then became part of the Woodrow charge.


Mitchellton United Church
Mitchellton, Saskatchewan


Mitchellton United Church

The first church services were held in the newly built school. The first minister came from Galilee to conduct services and later the minister from Expanse. After the hall was moved into Mitchellton in the 1920s, services were held there.

This church operated, in summer only, as part of a student field until they joined the Mossbank Charge and Rev. Ken Fisher became the pastor. In 1958 the Expanse church was purchased and moved to Mitchellton.

Due to declining membership the church was closed in 1996. The building was sold to an individual, the present use is unknown. Some contents were sold and other items went to the Museum in Mossbank.


Mossbank First Methodist
Mossbank, Saskatchewan


Mossbank First Methodist

Services were held at various locations, over Lawrence Quinn's store, McFadden's Pool Hall, Lutheran Church, the Orange Hall and the school on 1st Avenue West.

The church and manse were built in 1923 by Mr. Wm. Watson of Vantage. The plastering was done in 1924.

At a meeting held on November 16, 1923, the Official Board of Mossbank circuit gave authority for the points to organize on a union bases.

A new manse was constructed in 1958. In 1960 the pews from Ettington Church were transferred to Mossbank.

In 1963 the congregation purchased the former Evangelical Lutheran Church and it was moved and joined to the existing church. A full basement under both buildings was done by the "pioneer spirit," which included volunteers from the Lutheran and Anglican congregations.

This church is interdenominational and still very active as the Mossbank United Church.


Old Wives United
Mossbank (Area), Saskatchewan


Old Wives United Church

Early services were held in the school. 1929 was served from the Boharm area. The clergy traveled to many points: Dunkirk, Crestwynd, Old Wives, then to City View, Old Wives and Courval.

Ministers were generally from Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Ontario. With three services per Sunday, long drives in donated old cars on poor roads did not deter these young men from their vocation.


Ormiston Methodist Church
Ormiston, Saskatchewan


Ormiston Methodist Church

The first pastor to serve Ormiston was a Methodist student minister by the name of Samuel Harry in 1914.

In the early years the church and especially Sunday School were interdenominational. These were sometimes conducted by parents and other members of the district.

In 1925 the Ormiston Methodist Church joined the Church Union and became the Crane Valley United Church. The church services were held in the Ormiston Community Hall during the summer months when no heating was required and in homes of the faithful during the winter. After 1942 there were no further United Church services. But, during this time, however, many gifted Christian leaders of various Alliance Churches, from Assiniboia, Caronport, Moose Jaw, Regina, etc. came to give the Gospel message.


Palmer Methodist Church
Palmer, Saskatchewan


Palmer Methodist Church

The Methodist Church was built in Palmer in 1918. The minister from Mazenod served this congregation.

When Mazenod joined the Mossbank charge in 1943, the Mossbank minister also served Palmer.

In 1954 the pastoral boundaries were changed once more and Palmer became part of the Gravelbourg charge. Among the ministers who served there were: Rev. Steve Wilks, Rev. Val Anderson, Rev Howard Filsinger, Rev. Hill, Lowell Hubbard (lay minister), Rev. Ralph Jackson, Rev. Lloyd Smith, Rev. Brian Thorpe, Rev. Paul Ross, and Rev. Lorne Calvert.

The last service was in 1982. The building was used as a family history museum for the Homecoming Celebration in 1987; as a temporary Post Office in 1992 and later sold. The building was demolished in 2004.


Readlyn United Church
Readlyn, Saskatchewan


Readlyn United Church

Mr. Pringle, a very active student, came into the district and was instrumental in having a church built in Davyroyd. With much volunteer work, the first service was held March 20, 1915. A manse was purchased in 1920.

The ministers traveled with a team of ponies going to Moose Pond, Readlyn, Davyroyd and Enniscorthy. Later the field was Readlyn, Verwood, Viceroy, Willow Bunch, Hoath and Crane Valley.

In the thirties Rev. W.J. Gourlay or Gourley established rodeos at Verwood. That earned him the name "Cowboy Minister." Victor Wilkinson, a great worker among the youth, was noted for having established Camp Woodboia as well as Fleming Holms. The Readlyn charge then reverted to a student field.

The building was sold to Frank Thompson Sr. and remains in Readlyn as part of his museum complex.


Rockglen Wesley United Church
Rockglen, Saskatchewan


Rockglen Wesley United Church

In 1925, a dedicated group of Christians began to hold services in the local pool hall. In 1927 the Rockglen congregation voted to become part of the newly formed United Church. The local church was named Wesley, not after the great Methodist preachers, but in honor of Mr. Wesley Scarrow a local resident.

They built their first church at the east end of Main Street, with the purchase of one lot and one donated by the CPR. Services were held in this church until 1949. Then the Rockglen congregation bought a church used by the Constance point and moved it into town. The former church was sold to a local merchant.

In 1969 the pastoral charge was formed, called the Borderlands Pastoral Charge and included Wesley, Killdeer, Coronach and Fife Lake. Today it continues regularly from Coronach, while Killdeer was closed.


Vantage Methodist Church (Grace United)
Vantage, Saskatchewan


Vantage Methodist or Grace United

The church was built in Vantage in 1917. Vantage Church shared a minister with Mossbank and Ettington. Rev. Bert Howard was the first ordained minister.

The church burnt in 1933 with tragic results, the loss of three young lives. A decision to rebuild was made and Mr. Alex Lindgren was hired as foreman at the princely sum of $2.00 a day.

Grace United Church celebrated its 47th Anniversary in 1964 with a large turn-out for the Homecoming.

As the population began to dwindle throughout the district, ministers took on larger areas, and church services were held every other Sunday in Vantage.

Grace United was finally closed in 1967 and many of the congregation went to Mossbank, Assiniboia and other points to worship.


Verwood Presbyterian Church
Verwood, Saskatchewan


Verwood Presbyterian or St. John's United Church

The first services were held in Verwood School, November 2, 1914. In 1915 services were held in Craig's Hall above the store.

Construction began and the church was dedicated in 1916, under the name of St. John's Union Church. In 1924 a basement was constructed with an addition to the building.

This church was used by other congregations, mainly Anglicans and Lutherans. In 1925 the church was known as St. John's United Church. The manse was sold in 1948 and later moved to Assiniboia. Today, the church is a museum.


Viceroy United Church
Viceroy, Saskatchewan


Viceroy United

In 1913 Viceroy was a mission of the Methodist Church Congregation established in 1912 by Rev. A.F. Lavender. The church membership at that time was composed of 22 families. The Church was built in …… and closed in ……

The building is presently privately owned.


Willow Bunch Area Hoath Methodist
Willow Bunch Area, Saskatchewan


Willow Bunch Area Hoath Methodist

Methodist services were held in a granary before the Hoath Church was built in the spring of 1913.

Hoath Church was named after Robert Hoath Sr., a pioneer of the district. The first service was in May of the same year with just the frame work completed. The student minister rode in on horseback to preach and stood in the centre of the building with the congregation sitting on planks around the sides.

At first the church was a community meeting house for all denominations. A parsonage was built, which was then sold a few years later. In the 1930's the congregation could not afford a minister but Sunday School was held every Sunday. Later, in better times, Hoath United Church belonged to the Readlyn Pastoral Charge. The records for the church were stored in a twenty-five pound lard pail - mouse proof!

It was said the Hoath Church was the first Methodist congregation to be organized south of Moose Jaw.

The church closed in 1957 and was dismantled.


Willow Bunch United
Willow Bunch, Saskatchewan


Willow Bunch United

In September of 1925 the Rev. W. Reece was appointed by the United Church to Little Woody field and became involved with the Protestant families desiring a building for worship service. Financial appeal was made at the Assiniboia Conference and was granted $1,000.00. The Home Mission Board gave a $500.00 loan and another $500.00 as a grant.

At this point, a redistribution of pastoral charges in the district linked Willow Bunch, Hoath and Verwood with Rev. E.G. Elsey as pastor.

In 1928 the church was vandalized. The church was re-opened September 18, 1932. At this time finances were meager and the church was closed for awhile. Later services were held every second Sunday as this was now an eight point charge: Davyroyd, Eniscorthy, Hoath, Moose Pond, Readlyn, Verwood, Viceroy, and Willow Bunch.

There were renovations and a new foundation after 1945. In the 1970's a general face-lifting was done to the church with more repairs to the roof and a complete paint job. It has been continually serviced weekly since the 1960's.


Wood Mountain United Church
Wood Mountain, Saskatchewan


Wood Mountain United Church

The United Church has for many years been part of the Fir Mountain Church Mission Field. After 1930, summer services were conducted in the Ambassador School and the Village Hall.

In 1857-58 the congregation felt the need of a church building and purchased the Mennonite Brethren's Church from North of Woodrow. Prior to this a community cement pouring "bee" had produced the basement.

Since the summer of 1979 the United Church congregation has shared the church with the Roman Catholics of the area.


Woodrow Presbyterian Church
Woodrow, Saskatchewan


Woodrow Presbyterian Church

The first service was held in 1909 in the sod shack of Guy Crane, a sod shack and an Orange Hall. In 1916 the church was erected by the Woodrow congregation. In 1917, a formal call was given to Rev. S.P. Rondeau from Gravelbourg.

The building was destroyed by a fire in 1922. The following summer a new church was built. In 1925 the Woodrow United Church congregation voted unanimously for a union and became known as the United Church.

In 1969 Woodrow became part of the Lafleche Pastoral Charge and continued to be so until October 1st, 2005.


9 March 2006



In the early years history books recorded that many faiths helped each other where ever possible. Could you tell me the story about the first wedding in St. Paul's United Church?


Your great grand parents were my father Jake Broeder, strong Lutheran who attended Peace Lutheran at Lakenheath, courted my mother Eva (Williscraft) Broeder, an Anglican from Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. They were the first couple to be married in the St Paul United Church in Assiniboia, October 26th, 1926. The couple received a bible as commemoration of the event.

Their wedding supper was held at St Andrew's Presbyterian Church down the street. These kinds of situations happened quite often and could be known as the 'great Canadian compromise'.
© CHIN 2022. All Rights Reserved