Wallace and Area Museum
Wallace, Nova Scotia

Gallery Thumbnail Gallery Stories Contact Us Search

Acadian Removal at Remsheg, August 15, 1755



Today the waters lap peacefully along the shores of Wallace Harbour. Fishing boats and pleasure craft are moored at the Wharf.

In the late1400's, when European explorers first came to our shores, they found the land was already inhabited by Native Americans called the Mi'kmaq people.The Mi'kmaq people had already named this area, now called Wallace, "Remsheg".

Remsheg has been translated to mean "place between" because of the closeness to other Mi'kmaq villages - Pegweak (Pugwash), Malagash, and Tatamagouche.


Print Page

Important Notices  
© 2023 All Rights Reserved