Wallace and Area Museum
Wallace, Nova Scotia

Gallery Thumbnail Gallery Stories Contact Us Search

Acadian Removal at Remsheg, August 15, 1755



Remsheg Bay Research

The Wallace and Area Musem is proud of its research in all parts of its rich area history. Wallace was once a native Mi'kmaq settlement, then a French Acadian village. In 1784, it became home to about 460 United Empire Loyalists from New York at the end of the American Revolution.These settlers were followed by Scottish and Irish immigrants. Since 1990, the Wallace and Area Museum has endevoured to collect, research and display local history to enable residents to learn the Wallace Story.

In April of 2010 the Museum applied for a research permit in the Dewar River area of Malagash, in order to collect the Acadian Story. The permit was a first class permit, only enabling staff and volunteers to view the site, with no digging or removing of any artifacts. Because of the high grass on the marsh it was necessary to photograph features in the early spring, fall and winter.


Print Page

Important Notices  
© 2023 All Rights Reserved